- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 8 eggs
- 4 slices brioche or challah bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch arugula leaves, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- For hollandaise-yuzu sauce
- Clarified butter made from 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 flat teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons bottled yuzu juice (available in Asian markets) or lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- To make clarified butter: Place 8 ounces butter in small, heavy pot over moderately low flame. Remove foam from the surface of the butter as it rises. Pour remaining clear fat into a container. Discard milk solid at bottom of pot. Clarified butter can keep in the refrigerator for months and can be used for frying and baking at high temperatures.
- Preparing a bain-marie: Put a saucepan filled with water on low heat. Place a bowl over the saucepan to create a bain-marie. Bring the water to a gentle boil, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Preparing the hollandaise sauce: In a bowl, whisk together 3 egg yolks, 1 teaspoon mustard, 1 chopped shallot, 2 tablespoons yuzu, and 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar until blended. Pour in a slow stream of butter while continuing to whisk, until sauce acquires the texture of mayonnaise. Season with salt, add 2 tablespoons cold water, and turn off heat. Leave bowl in saucepan to keep warm. The sauce will not keep for more than a couple of hours, and cannot be reheated.
- Poaching the eggs: Heat 8 cups water in a pot, add ¼ cup vinegar, and bring to a near boil. Prepare a bowl of ice water. Break one egg into a small bowl. Use a spoon to rapidly swirl water in pot while gently slipping the egg into its center. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove when egg white sets around yolk. Place poached egg in ice water. Poach remaining eggs, keeping pot on a very low flame.
- Toast 4 slices of bread in a pan with 1 tablespoon butter. Spread 1 tablespoon of cream cheese on each slice of bread and arrange on a serving plate. Cover each slice of bread with slices of avocado and smoked salmon, and garnish with arugula leaves.
- Return the eggs to boiling water for 20 seconds to heat through. Place two eggs on each slice of toast.
- Pour the sauce on and around the eggs, garnish with capers, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Check out the gorgeous result video here.